While rebuilding a wrecked 1953 Packard in his spare time, Kurt Ziebart begins his first attempts at rustproofing its body panels. Once his rustproofing sealant is perfected and patented tools are developed, Kurt Ziebart and partners Rudy Herman, Joe Selagi and George Krausmann set up a new company called Auto Rustproofing Company.
In 1959, they opened the first rustproofing shop at 14700 Harper Avenue in Detroit, MI. Consumers at first think the product is a hoax, but are soon convinced of its integrity as advertising and word of mouth keep the company’s appointment calendar filled for weeks in advance.
In 1963, Roger Waindle, a recognized expert in the field of corrosion studies, buys out George Krausmann’s interest in Auto Body Rustproofing, Inc. His plans call for the expansion of a franchise network, refinement of the rustproofing sealant and securing accounts in the fleet industry. In 1962, the first franchise is sold to James M. Rouen and Tommie L. Hickman in Perrysburg, OH. Roger Waindle sets up a company called Ziebart Process Corporation and buys out Kurt Ziebart and Joe Selagi’s interest in Auto Rustproofing, Inc. He becomes the sole owner.